Octave® Ultrasonic Water Meters
Octave® Ultrasonic Water Meters have a ± 1.5% accuracy for nominal flow rates. The vacuum sealed and tamper proof register provides durability and long-term performance. A multi-line digital readout display provides immediate reporting and visual indicators for critical conditions. Lithium batteries provide a 10 year life expectancy. Octave also offers a 5 year pro-rated warranty – the industry’s longest.
- Double-beam ultrasonic sensors provide highly accurate flow data and reliable operation.
- No impeller or moving parts in the flow path provides for unrestricted, low pressure loss flows.
- Reduced maintenance of wear-prone parts commonly found in other meters.
- Flow ranges from <1 GPM to 5,500 GPM.
- Multi-line readout screen provides complete flow and volume information along with:
- Leak detection
- Flow direction
- Output mode
- Battery level
- Alarms and errors
- Active communication mode
- Vacuum sealed and tamper proof IP68 register provides durability and long-term performance.
- Lithium batteries provide a 10 year life expectancy.
- Each meter has a unique, unalterable bar-coded serial number for identification.
- Standard registers are programmed to log and display both forward and reverse flow. Physically reversing the meter will not decrease the forward flow totalizer.
- Each meter ships with a certificate verifying flow accuracy with a ± 1.5% accuracy for nominal flow rates.
Octave® Ultrasonic Water Meter Operation
HOW OCTAVE WORKS
The Octave’s measurement method is based on an ultrasonic, transit-time, dual-beam sensors that determine the length of time it takes an ultrasonic wave to travel the distance between the two sensors located in the meter’s body. The sensors function as both sender and receiver, each one alternating these functions so that the ultrasonic wave travels both with and against the direction of the flow. Because the ultrasonic wave travels slower against the flow than with the flow, the time difference of the two waves allows the meter to determine the flow rate.
Octave Programming and Digital Display
Multi-line digital LCD readout display provides immediate reporting and visual indicators for critical conditions. The 9 digit display is easy to read at a glance.
Each Octave Meter will be pre-programmed before shipment for an instantaneous flow rate in Gallons per Minute (GPM) and the specified user’s requirements for:
- Volume Totalizer Units (Gallons or Acre-Feet)
- Output Resolution for Optional Pulsed Output
NOTE: Programming software is not available to the end user. Once the meter is programmed by the Netafim prior to shipment, it can only be reset by Netafim. When changing between totalizer options (US Gallons to Acre Feet), the totalizer memory can not be reset so vital data will not be lost.
Netafim stands behind our water meters with an unprecedented warranty – the industry’s longest – five (5) years.
If the meter encounters a problem, we will repair or replace it with minimal interruption to the irrigation schedule.
All meters are individually tested, calibrated and inspected to ensure they meet the highest quality standards and the testing documents are included with each meter.
This performance and reliability is a valuable tool for managing an irrigation system.
Octave® Ultrasonic Water Meter Technical
- Sizes: 2″, 3″, 4″, 6″, 8″, 10″, and 12″
- Body: Epoxy-coated cast iron with flange inlet and outlet
- Maximum working pressure: 230 psi
- Fluid Temperature Range: 32° to 122° F (0.1° to 50° C)
- Connection: Flanges ANSI ISO for AWWA Connection Standard
- Power Source: 2 ‘D’ Size non-replaceable Lithium batteries
- Environmental Protection: IP-68, Ambient operation temperature for display: -13 to 131° F (-25° to 55° C)
- Output (optional): Programmable single/dual open collector pulse output or externally powered 4-20 mA loop
The following examples are recommendations for achieving top performance.
- Two (2) diameters of straight pipe are required when installing a 90° elbow before or after the meter. (See Figure 1)
- Two (2) diameters of straight pipe are required when installing the meter upstream or downstream of a valve, tee connection or other source of significant turbulence. (See Figures 2 and 3)
NOTE: The installation of the meter upstream of a pump or large valve is not recommended due to potential cavitation issues.
- Five (5) diameters of straight pipe downstream of a pump (before the meter) and Two (2) diameters of straight pipe downstream of the meter are required. (See Figure 4)
NOTE: When the meter is downstream of the pump, Netafim recommends additional straight pipe to ensure accurate measurements.
- Meter can be installed horizontally or vertically with the water flowing up. It is not recommended for installation where the direction of flow is below the horizontal plane. (See Figure 5)
- To eliminate air in the pipeline and maintain accuracy, use of and proper placement of Air Vents is required. We recommend a Combination Air/Vacuum Release Air Vent or the Pro Air Vent.
- Recommended Air Vent placement: 3″ and 4″ meters place air vent 12″ to 18″ before the meter; 6″ and 8″ meters place the air vent 18″ to 24″ before the meter; 10″ and 12″ meters place the air vent 30″ to 36″ before the meter.
- Installing a Check Valve downstream of the meter creates back pressure to aid in the meter filling with water.
Octave® Ultrasonic Water Meter Ordering
The Water Meter Configurator is an online tool that will assist you in ordering a water meter. Simply select your water meter based on type, size, output, units, and signal. The tool will then provide you with a model number, product description, and price for use to place an order.